Sunday, December 21, 2008

December 2008

The month with many celebrations in it has started and am away from home for the first time. My Birthday, Kwanzaa, Christmas, and New Years. This will be a big adventure for me to get through this month without wish I was at home. But I will try to find things to occupy my time.

I have also started computer classes at the upper basic school. Well I guess you cant call them classes more like free time on the computers. Am allowing the teachers to have time and just expose themselves to the new technology and use it. I am there if they have any questions or need any help. But I have also put that job on the other teachers. This why they become teachers and get a better grasp of computers themselves.

Tobaski is here. The Muslim holiday of the killing of a ram. They day started off just as simple as any other day. People got really dressed up by noon. The old boys came to the compound, killed the ram, and processed to skin it. All while this was taking place the women prepared the spice and sauces to cook the meat in. once the lunch was finished many people went around greeting other families. The kids got to get dress and go around to ask for charity (kids get money for adults) and I think even some adults joined in and collected as well. I had prepared 2 outfits for the day, which is what most of the girls in my family have done.

So my birthday is here. Am not very excited or sad about the day and hope I feel happy soon. Many of the people I talk to here, remembered and sent me a text saying happy birthday and that did make me smile. I got my phone calls from home and that also put a smile on my face. The most I had planned for the day was to cook one of my own meals and make something I really wanted. Which was steak in a gravy sauce with potatoes.
My birthday has come and left. It was not so much fun as it would have been if I was in the states. But I still enjoyed myself and made the best of it. I enjoyed receiving a few calls from friends and family.

Since school is still out till the 5th of next month. I will have plenty of time to read books and work on my house. The next two books on my list are pretty big and will take me some time to read. As far as my house its in good shape for now. I plan on painting and hanging up curtains to fell more at home and hang up some of the card and pictures I have gotten from home. Oh and did I ever mention anything about my garden am growing. It is a very good thing for me to have and take up some of my time in the day with. I have planted cucumbers, tomatoes, papers, cabbage, and spinach. And I will tell how it turns out if they get big, die, or start to produce.

No comments: