Friday, July 4, 2008

Am in Gambia

Hello to all, I have finally made it to Gambia. Its very hot and not what I was expecting it to be. I was looking for a lot of dirt, low income housing or mud homes, with dirt roads but what I got was a lot of new green, new housing and hotel development, paved roads everywhere but no traffic lights (yet) and just some real good hospitality. Am such in a shock to be round such good people not only are the people in training with me great but the staff and other volunteers are too. Everyone is so eager to help and give me answers to the questions I have I thought I would be in the dark forever.

Me and the trains got to spend 3 days and 2 nights with each other before getting on a plan to come over to Gambia. We played some ice breakers, talked about emotions and feelings, asked a ton of questions and went out and mingled together. The people that am here with made me feel real comfortable and like I belonged here so I wasn't ever much nervous just excited. I am in an Educational sector where I have 5 of the following: Teacher training, Math & Science teachers, and ICT or IT. Ad yes am the only girl in the ICT group guyz, so they have deemed me their queen. So am excited and its just getting starting. We will be finding out about what languages we are set to learn in the next few days. So here is another one to add to my list.

The first meal was great. And we have been having nothing but good food and good company. Since today was the 4th of July we had a cook out with other volunteers and the director's house. Meeting the other volunteers was very good because we got to mingle with other people beside the 15 of us, but because we were able to hear stories and swap info about the villages and work that will be getting done or started.

At night the best thin to do which would not be all that good back home was a cold shower. The shower was pool water cold but I loved it because I was so hot, sticky and sweaty that it just made me cool down and feel refreshing. I was then able to get dress and unpack just a little before it was bed time. Which for some odd reason I could do without a TV (inside joke for those who know me) without any problems. But I did wake up at the crack of dawn which was at 6am.

But am having a good time here and just cant wait to see whats going to happen in the next few days, weeks, months, years with me here in The Gambia.

No comments: